Essence of Russia
- Marvel at St. Petersburg—a self-contained city with palaces, armories and churches.
- Walk through Red Square—an impressive home of past May Day parades, the GUM—amazing shopping area and St. Basil’s Cathedral.
- Explore the Hermitage and history museums with vast collections of Russian art.
- Stroll through famous amusement and ornamental parks.
- Visit awe-inspiring residences of past tzars and royalty of Russia.
- See statues, such as The Bronze Horseman, which have inspired epic poems.
- Tour ornate palaces, beautifully landscaped parks and a dazzling array of statues and fountains at Peterhof.
- View gilded, domed cathedrals soaring over the skylines.
Established in the 12th century, Russia has a rich history of rulers and governments; empiric ambitions and periods of withdrawal from the world scene. At times an ally, at times a rival, Russia has a complex and ever-changing relationship with the rest of the world. Being nearly twice the size of the United States, Russia is the largest country in the world in terms of land area. This vast geography gives Russia numerous climate changes, with weather ranging from hot, humid temperatures to sub-Arctic tundra climate. Russia is known for its rich natural resources including oil, natural gas, coal, timber and minerals. Today, it is a nation of enormous diversity and tremendous vitality.